Thursday, September 23, 2010

I'm Back And I Love Kale

Yes, I have returned and I must say, I have returned in a big way! No, this time my inspiration was not a movie but, a cooking class at Whole Foods. Okay, slightly true, I have been cooking off and on and I will tell you about those dishes at a later date. Tonight, this blog is dedicated to the Whole Foods class and the magic of kale.

Let me start from the beginning. Last week our department had a team building experience at Whole Foods. We were divided into two teams of 7. We were given 5 dishes to prepare in under 2 hours. My team, Team B were like a group of Energizer bunnies that you could not shoot if tried and Team A were calm and cool, like Paul Newman. It was a serious competition! Just imagine, the Energizer bunnies vs. Paul Newman. The judges came in and Paul Newman (Team A) knew they won because Energizer (Team B) made a mess in the kitchen. For you see, the chicken was slightly over cooked (never mind Paul created a fire), the risotto was okay I guess, the cake was over cooked by both teams, and Energizer's tart was too satly. So what did Energizer do that led them to victory? Kale, glorious kale! Who knew that adding sugar to this dish would make such a difference in my life. Now, for those of you who cook often, I don't want hear that adding sugar to kale is horrible. Please keep these thoughts to yourself. By my team adding this "treat" to our kale --no I am going to give this kudos to the big guy himself-the BOSS--by him adding a TON of sugar when I said add a pinch, that lead our team to victory! That victory lead me to my victory of a lifetime!!!! BEATING DK!!! Opps I digress. The hole point is that by adding something different, we had a new experience. The experience of working with new people, laughing together, trying new food and once again my beating DK!!

Remeber, try something new and enjoy yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment