Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Cabbage

Did you know there was more than one way to cook a cabbage? Well, I am here to tell you that when I searched the word, there were more than 200 recipes. There was cabbage soup, cabbage pudding, purple cabbage, fried cabbage, baked cabbage. Who knew there was so much to choose from. What's a girl to do? In the end, I found a recipe that included alchohol. Of course, I did not feel like stopping by the store so I had to loose the wine and include all the other ingredients so just imagine what it would have tasted like had I had the wine. With the smoked turkey sausage, FABULOUS!!!!!!

I am here to tell you that something can be said for this vegetable thing. My child is even all into this. This evening, he even asked if he could choose vegetables at the Farmers Market this weekend so that I could cook them next week. SUCCESS!!!!!! This cooking vegetables is starting to turn into a real family affair! Hey, remeber that TV show from long ago? I used to have a crush on the curly hair kid. Oh, there I ago digressing again. Anyway, another successful night with another successful cooking adventure. Simply put, I cut up cabbage, added a little olive oil to the skillet. I sauted the garlic and shallots and added the cabbage and added a few tablespoons of water and let the cabbage cook slowly. I added kosher salt, red pepper flakes and that seasoning you add to cabbage--it slips my mind now. My child is talking to me about PAR!!!! I thought I could two do two things at once, I guess I was wrong!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Yvette,
    You would think that a person that was inspired by Julie Child would try just 1 of her receipts.....are you up for a challenge my dear Yvette
    Your Friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy Three Cheese, Spinach and Tomato Quiche
    Recipe adapted from Spinach Quiche in Julia Child's, "The Way to Cook".
    Yield: 1 large quiche (6-8 servings), 6 mini tarts or 12 muffin cups (2 muffin cups/serving)

    Ingredients:

    3 large eggs
    Add enough low-fat milk to equal 1 1/2 cup egg/milk mixture
    2 grates or pinch of fresh nutmeg
    1/2 tsp salt
    Pinch of pepper
    1/4 cup onion, small dice
    10 ounces fresh spinach
    1/4 cup low fat three cheese blend, plus more for garnish (or cheese of preference)
    1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced into quarters
    Canola or olive oil cooking spray
    Directions:

    Preheat oven to 375.
    Spray tart, muffin or large quiche pan with oil.
    Spray non stick pan with oil. Saute diced onion over medium heat until slightly brown, stirring as needed, about 5 minutes. Cool.
    Chop fresh spinach by hand or process in food processor until shredded. Place in large bowl. Add sauteed onion and 1/4 cup cheese. Stir to blend.
    In separate bowl, add 3 eggs and enough milk to bring mixture to 1 and 1/2 cups. Add 2 grates of fresh nutmeg, salt and pepper. Blend with a fork to combine. Mixture should be well incorporated and frothy.
    Add egg mixture to spinach mixture and stir to incorporate.
    Fill pan(s) half way with spinach egg mixture.
    Top with sliced tomatoes.
    Fill pan(s) with rest of spinach egg mixture.
    Sprinkle with a little cheese for garnish.
    Place in preheated oven. Bake for 10 minutes, turn pan.
    Continue to bake for 10-15 minutes until puffed up and cheese is golden brown (knife should come out clean when inserted into pan).
    Cool slightly. Remove from pans.
    For breakfast, serve with fresh fruit salad with a dollop of yogurt or a mixed greens salad for lunch or dinner.
    Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 4 days or frozen.
    To Freeze: Wrap portions in plastic wrap and place in gallon ziploc bag.
    To Reheat: Heat 1-3 minutes until heated through

    ReplyDelete