Monday, September 21, 2009

What's Up with The Food Processor?

I'm back! For all of you who thought I disappeared, I'm back and I'm back full force. Let me tell you, it has been a week full of surprises. Not only did I cook, but I used my Cuisinart that was purchased a few months ago. Yes, that's correct, don't fall off your chair, I actually pulled it off the shelf and used it.

The journey bagan last week whenI had a day off and decided to make little personal meatloafs (oh, did I mention I also joined a weightloss competition?). Sorry, I digressed. Anyway, the recipe called for onions to be diced and I decided that I would use the food processor. Well, as would be my luck, instead of dicing, I made a purree. So, what's a girl to do? I could have dumped the onions but instead, I drained the liquid and browned the onions! The miracle was that somehow it worked. And, guess what, for a family that hates onions in their food, they could not taste it. Oh by the way, the meatloaf rocked.

Fast forward to Sunday, when it appeared that my weight was going in the wrong direction --up instead of down-- I had to take drastic measures. It was time for my family to eat lots of protein and vegetables. So, we had vegetables for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I also found one vegetable to try that while it might not have been tuly a diet " material recipe, it was a vegetable my family did not normally eat. BUTTERNUT SQUASH! In fact, I used the recipe from the Bareffot Contessa Back To Basics Cookbook. The recipe called for the squash to be diced and cooked in the oven at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. So far so good. Well, once that was done, you transfer it to the food processor to whip it to a potato like consistency. Great, I used the processor last week so what could go wrong? I added the squash to the processor and flip the switch and nothing happens. I mean nothing! After 10 minutes and a few choice words, I transfer it to a bowel and use the mixer. What's up with the food processor????? Okay, could it be that I was not supposed to use the Barefoot Contessa recipe because of the half and half? Could it be that I am a food processor idiot? What gives with my expensive Cuisinart?

After all of that, the squash did tuirn out great. We had fresh green beans with smoked turkey and cornish hens (not one per person). Cut the meat uo and eat more of the vegetables. The plates looked fantastic and diiner was enjoyable. I must say I am getting better with the seasoning but I still have to ask what's up with the food processor?

No comments:

Post a Comment